President’s Volunteer Service Award
In 2003, the President’s Council on Service and Civic Participation founded the President’s Volunteer Service Award to recognize the important role of volunteers in America’s strength and national identity. This award honors individuals whose service positively impacts communities in every corner of the nation and inspires those around them to take action, too. The PVSA has continued to honor the volunteers who are using their time and talents to solve some of the toughest challenges facing our nation!
Pebble Tossers is a certifying organization for the President’s Volunteer Service Award.
- United States citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States (i.e., green card holder)
- Must be at least five years old
- Volunteer must complete eligible service within a 12-month period (for annual Bronze, Silver, and Gold Awards) and over a lifetime (for Lifetime Achievement Awards)
- Unpaid acts of volunteer service benefiting others
- Service through National service programs that provide a stipend (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) may count towards the Lifetime Achievement Award*, but not for the annual Bronze, Silver, and Gold Awards)
- Travel stipends, transit/parking passes, membership passes, expense reimbursements, and other nominal volunteer support do not impact service eligibility
Eligible Service does not include:
- Donating funds
- Political lobbying (Non-partisan voter registration is an eligible activity)
- Religious instruction
- Conducting worship service
- Volunteer service performed as part of court-ordered community service
- Serving only family members
To apply for the award, volunteers need to do the following:
- Become a paid member of Pebble Tossers and create a profile in our volunteer portal.
- Enter all volunteer hours in your Pebble Tossers’ Account (must fill in contact information for where you volunteered if you are not volunteering with a Pebble Tossers’ opportunity). Pebble Tossers uploads this into the PVSA system.
- Complete the following form:
Please Note: Pebble Tossers will certify hours in July and December. Please fill in the following information so we can order the award and create a press release to send to your school. Pebble Tossers will send out press releases to local newspapers and school contacts in August and January.
Volunteer service hours are not limited to those performed as part of Pebble Tossers projects. In fact, service hours can be accumulated through work on a variety of projects throughout the year. The only requirement is that the necessary hours be completed within 12 months; recipients can qualify for a new PVSA each year.
Volunteers may apply as individuals or with a family/group to receive a bronze, silver, or gold level award for the number of applicable hours.
|Kids (5 – 10)||26 – 49||50 – 74||75+|
|Teens (11 – 15)||50 – 74||75 – 99||100+|
|Young Adults (16 – 25)||100 – 174||175 – 249||250+|
|Adults (26+)||100 – 249||250 – 499||500+|
|President’s Lifetime Achievement Award:
Individuals who have completed 4,000 or more hours in their lifetime.
- An official President’s Volunteer Service Award lapel pin, coin or medallion (select one)
- A personalized certificate of achievement
- A congratulatory letter from the President of the United States
- A press release sent by Pebble Tossers to your school
- Eligibility for recognition as Pebble Tossers’ Remarkable Ripplemaker